Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Five Obvious But Useful Tips for Nature Photography

Eastern Kingbird, Tyrannus tyrannus, by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, Nikkor P 500mm f4 Manual Focus Lens
 
I am so ready for spring. I want to get out in the kayak, paddle to my favorite little island to photograph ospreys and other birds, and feel the warmth. Last year, I only made it out to that island once, and didn't get any really special images. The year before was better. So, I can't wait for the weather to warm up so that I can try again.
 
I read an article on digital-photography-school.com that gives five good tips for improving your wildlife photography:
 
  1. Get a good telephoto lens. Definitely, couldn't agree more. There's no substitute.
  2. Use a fast shutter speed (1/500 for a stationary subject, 1/1000 or faster if it's moving). Agreed. But, that means a fast lens and low noise sensor. You kind of have to balance of all that.
  3. Capture the moment, including using continuous shooting. I definitely believe in capturing the moment. Sometimes that comes from continuous shooting. For me, it more typically comes from careful release of the shutter once or twice.
  4. Know your subject. Again, I totally agree. I know where my ospreys nest every year, and when.
  5. Don't get attacked by your subject. I remember being chased a little distance by an angry buffalo once, in Oklahoma. I also remember stepping on a (harmless) snake, while getting out of my kayak. So, yes, be careful.
(Click Here) to read the whole post on digital-photography-school.com.
 
 
I'll be out there, as soon as the warm weather comes.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment